Sunday, October 19, 2014

Answer to prayer

Pam Padgett - teacher

This past Thursday afternoon my elderly next-door neighbor, Jim, called concerned about his cat.  The cat had not been drinking water nor eating for a couple days.  He said the cat was acting normally other than not eating and drinking.  I told him it always concerns me when an animal doesn't eat or drink water and suggested he have a vet check the cat.

However, this cat is an extremely scared cat.  I took care of the cat for 10 weeks a couple years ago when Jim was in the hospital, and the cat never allowed me to touch it (I hardly even saw it!)  And she becomes vicious when she is scared.  Jim is not physically able to get her into a carrier to take her to a vet because she gets so scared and  vicious, and I knew I couldn't get her into the carrier either.  Since the cat was still acting normally, Jim said he would wait and see if she started eating and drinking. 

I was very concerned about the cat and prayed, asking God to help in this situation and especially to not allow the cat to suffer. 

The next day Jim called.  He had decided he needed to get help for the cat and asked for the phone number of a mobile vet we have both used in the past.  This vet was on his way out of town for several days, but Jim was determined and found another mobile vet.  That vet had no time available for another patient, but offered to send over someone who could put the cat in the carrier so the cat could be taken to a vet's office.  The woman who came was very skillful in dealing with the cat, even though the cat was vicious, and got the cat into the carrier.  I told her how glad I was that this service was available.  She said they had just started doing this. 

It was now late in the afternoon, but this woman knew of a pet emergency clinic which is open 24-hours every day.  I took the cat there and they immediately started examining her and running tests.  She had a fever and was also dehydrated.  They were able to hydrate the cat, get the fever down, and even get the cat to eat a little while they continue to try to find the cause of the problem. 

At one point Jim told me that perhaps he should have acted sooner, but that morning (the morning after I prayed) he knew he had to do something

When Jim told me this, as well as when the woman was able to so skillfully get the cat into the carrier, I was reminded of having prayed for the cat to be helped and know that God answered my prayer.