Sunday, October 26, 2014

Power of God seen

Pam Padgett - teacher

Psalm 148:7 Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: 8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word:


Comments by Pam Padgett

When we see such things as fire, hail, and storms we see the will and power of God and the futility of trusting in man.

Those of the world see such things as natural disasters.  Attributing these things to what they call "mother nature" without acknowledging God.  And they praise each other in rebuilding afterwards, and try to look for ways to protect from these things in the future.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

But we see the power of God, and stand in awe, and praise Him in our hearts.  

Many years ago I worked as a temporary secretary on an upper floor of a tall building in Oklahoma City.  From my desk I could see through a large window as a storm moved toward the city.  Lightning was flashing across the sky.  The man I worked for came to my desk and started talking about  how much electricity was in a single bolt of lightning and how the electricity in a single bolt of lightning could power a large city.  I told him this was power of God and that it truly is amazing. 

A little more than a year ago wild fires were burning near where I live now.  Temperatures were very hot for this area with no rain and extremely strong winds.  The firefighters were unable to hold back the fire and it burned many homes.  During press conferences, a spokesman for the firemen said that, as hard as they were working, they were unable to contain the fire because of the weather conditions.  One afternoon the winds shifted toward my house, and I decided to evacuate.  As I was driving away, I was very aware that God was in control of what happened.  Because of this, I didn't panic, but I committed my house to God to do as He willed.  That night, while still a few miles away from my house, the fire was turned when the winds shifted again.  I returned home the following day.  

When the winds calmed and temperatures decreased and a little rain came days later, the firemen were able to put the fire out.  Some people put up signs thanking the firefighters for saving their houses.  But this was of God, not man.