Saturday, July 21, 2012

This is your rest

Pam Padgett ... teacher

As various people come across my path, I hear of many activities they are involved in.  Although at one time I, too, was busy and rushing around, my life now is very different.  I didn't set out to have a quieter, less active life.  This has resulted as I've tried to do what I believe God was leading me to do along the way, and I am very grateful for the life I now have. 

 A big change in the past year for me has been retiring.  I had been praying for several months about various problems at my job, and then one day the following strongly stood out to me ... Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest: because it is polluted, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction.  (Micah 2:10)  Although it was hard to imagine not working, I committed to God whether to look for another job.  So far, I don't believe I've been led to do this, and can afford to not work. 

Another scripture that was brought strongly to my attention by an exhortation some months ago is  But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.  (Hebrews 3:13)   To try to do this was very frightening to me at first, but God has helped me do as He has instructed.  As we share with each other, I find that I spend more time reading the Bible and meditating in scriptures.

My desire to do worldly activities has diminished, yet I am quite content and grateful to God for the way I believe He has led me.  Frequently I thank God that I'm not rushing around doing other things. 

While thinking about these things, I was reminded of Martha's sister Mary and that Jesus said she had chosen the "good part".  As we try to do whatever God has shown us to do, choosing to follow Him instead of ways of the flesh, we find those things that are not important are sorted out and that we have chosen that part which is good.    

Luke 10:38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Comments by Joan Boney ...

I've had several dreams recently and in each dream I'm shown secular things are "futile".


In each dream there has been activity but the end has been futility.


Our flesh loves excitement, change, action ... but God keeps showing me these things are futile.


The end time church described by Paul in II Tim. 3 was a church that was selfish and a church where they just kept learning but were never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.  Futile.  All the running from one place to another to hear the word of God and running from one preacher to another to hear the word of God and yet never really coming to the knowledge of the truth leaves a people who have a "form of godliness" but they are not actually godly.

Those who are godly are those who hear from God and focus on that which they have heard, making appropriate changes based on that word they heard, being recreated in the image of that word.

For example, we are greatly recreated when we set our lives according to the following word spoken by Paul ...


Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation,  Phil. 2


If we are of God, let us set our life toward that way ... checking ourselves ... making ourselves of no reputation among other humans.  This recreates us in the image of Christ. Also this should free us to speak the word of God when we are with other people, instead of holding back the truth from them.  One reason we hold back is we want them to think well of us and inwardly we know they will despise what we say and maybe even despise us if we speak truth.