Saturday, July 28, 2012

Yoked to word from God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Jesus said ... Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:29)

A yoke connects two things so that the way one goes, the other goes as well.  When two oxen are connected together at the shoulders, when one turns, the other turns. 

When we are yoked to the word of God, we no longer go in the way we would have gone of ourselves.  Instead, when we are given a word by the Holy Spirit showing us the way we are to go in a matter, we turn to that way, getting and staying in line with the word we've been given. 

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

And we're told this yoke is easy.  Sometimes we don't think it will be easy to go in the way we believe we're being led by God.  But later as we look back, we see that the way was in fact much easier than the way we would have chosen for ourselves.

I was reminded of the following example ... at one time when I was working I was given assignments that were not interesting or challenging.  I told my manager I would be glad to take more responsibility and suggesting helping a team that had a lot of work, but he didn't make any changes.  Being frustrated, I prayed about this and was reminded of ...  Let your conversation (manner of life) be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5).

As a result of hearing this scripture, I started focusing on just doing the work assigned to me (being content with what I had been assigned), and I didn't continue trying to get more exciting work assignments (coveting other assignments).  Being yoked to the word I had received in this matter took me a different way than my flesh wanted to go.  However, after a time I realized how peacefully I was able to work because I was not involved in the "exciting" work, and became thankful for what I was doing.

As we consider times God has given us a word  ... a scripture, dream, exhortation, thought brought by the Holy Spirit ... and we yielded to that word, we see that our path has become (or stayed) consistent to that word we are yoked to, and that it has been a better way for us.

Comments by Joan Boney

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said,  I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.  II Cor. 6