Sunday, July 22, 2012

Unmoved

Pam Padgett ... teacher

When Paul knew that bonds and afflictions would come to him when he went to Jerusalem, he still went ... not being moved by those things nor counting his life dear ...

Acts 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. 24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.


dear:  regard with deep affection; cherish (protect and care for lovingly)

Paul wasn't moved by those things that were to happen to him, for he wasn't trying to protect or care for his life on this earth.  He was focused on finishing the work God had given him to do, and finishing it with joy.  

Matthew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Rev. 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.


Comments by Joan Boney ...  When we speak truth of the word of God to people around us, we often lose our lives "for the sake of the gospel".  When we know the truth on the matter at hand we need to be courageous to speak the truth.  Often we hold back because we know it will offend them if we speak.  We somehow justify not speaking.  But why are we on this earth if not to speak God's truth on the issues that surface?  We witness to the word of God when we speak truth.