Monday, July 2, 2012

Divorce/Remarriage

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Over the years there have been multiple times people have come across my path and I have spoken to them about what the Bible says about divorce and remarriage.
-----

Many years ago I met a man at church named Mo.  He and I had talked about things in the Bible, and I considered him a valued friend.  One day Mo came to where I worked and asked if we could talk.  He told me he was dating a divorced woman and was getting "serious" about her, considering asking her to marry him.  He asked me what I saw in the Bible about this.  I told him he would go against what we're told in the Bible if he married this woman.  He would commit adultery if he married her, and she would commit adultery. 

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

After telling him this, he left looking very sad.  As he walked away, I was reminded of the story of the rich  ruler who asked Jesus what he should do to inherit eternal life.  He went away very sorrowful when Jesus told him to sell all that he had and distribute to the poor. 

Luke 18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. 20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. 21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. 22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.


-----------

When I was finishing college I rented a room in the house owned by a woman I met at church.  She had been divorced twice.  At one point she said something to me about wanting to get married again.  I told her that if she did this, she would commit adultery. 

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Her response was shocking to me, saying that she didn't care what we're told in the Bible, she knew what she believed.  Not long after this I moved. 

Some time later I learned that she was engaged to marry a man I also knew.  I went and spoke with him about this as well, and left several scriptures on this subject for him, including scriptures showing that he would also commit adultery if he married her. 

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

I learned that the wedding was still planned and that the maid of honor was a woman I knew.  I went to the maid of honor and spoke with her about this.  She said that she knew what they were doing was wrong, but that they would get married whether or not she was in the wedding, so she was going ahead as the maid of honor.

(II Jn ... Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.   The woman who was maid of honor ended up partaking in the evil deed.)


The wedding was held, but I didn't attend. 

About this time, I noticed something strange happening when I went to church.  Several people in the singles group sat in one area of the church and had done so for many months. I didn't know most of these people well, but we spoke casually.  One Sunday I got to church early and sat in this section of the church.  None of the people from the singles group came, and the church service started.  I looked around and saw that the they were sitting a few rows behind where I was sitting.  I didn't think much about it, and the next week I sat back a few rows, in the area they sat the week before.  Gradually I started noticing them come in and sit a few rows in front of me.  I was puzzled about why they weren't sitting consistently in the same area.  The next week I deliberately got to church shortly before the service started and went to the area where the singles were sitting.  When I sat down, people got up and moved away from me without saying anything. 

It was obvious that these people wanted nothing to do with me, but I had no idea what was going on.  I started just sitting by myself.

A few weeks later as I was leaving the church service, a young woman I didn't know very well called to me.  She said she had a message from God for me.  The message was (paraphrased) that God knew what I was going through and the way people were treating me because I had spoken against the marriage of the divorced woman ... but in speaking this I had done what was right in the sight of God.

How merciful for God to have this woman deliver this message to me!  Finally I knew why I was being shunned and, most importantly, that it was because I had done what was right in the sight of God. 

----

I was engaged to be married to a man who had divorced his wife because she was having an affair with another man (committing fornication).  They had three grown children.  One evening this man called telling me his son had decided to get married and about plans that were being made for his son's wedding.  The son was marrying a divorced woman.  I knew the son was dating a divorced woman, and should have spoke sooner.  But, on hearing about the wedding plans, I told him that his son would commit adultery if he married this woman. 

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

He became angry with me when I told him this.  When I returned from a business trip a few days later, we broke up. (He really didn't want anything more to do with me.)  

As I was driving away after we broke up, I heard "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers".  Although he considered himself to be a Christian, he did not believe what we're told in the Bible about a man marrying a divorced woman committing adultery ...  an unbeliever. 

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?


----

My younger sister and her husband divorced several years ago.  Shortly after the divorced, I shared with my sister scripture that show that a divorced woman commits adultery if she remarries, including

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

 She obviously resented my sharing these things with her, and we didn't speak to each other very much after this.  Then, a few years later, she called to tell me she was getting married and invited me to the wedding.  I reminded her that she would commit adultery if she married this man, and told her I would not attend the wedding.  I was also reminded of the following and told her this ...

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.




-------------------

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

At the time I was born again, in the mid-70's, my best friend told me of how she deceived her husband into marriage.  She had been divorced.  She did not let anyone know she was divorced and when she met this widower she did not tell him until after he had already fallen in love with her.  Later, after they married, she asked him if he would have gone out with her had he known she was divorced and he said, "No."  But he married her.  (These were church people.  They met at the church they attended.)

Jesus said ... whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.  Mt. 5:32

Several years ago, my cousin, her husband, and her 2 adult aged sons visited me.  I learned that one son was thinking of marrying a divorced woman.  (These are not church people)  I told him the Bible says a man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.  I advised him not to marry a divorced woman. Unknown to me, they were already living together and fornication was involved.  They did marry.  They had one child.  They divorced.  Then I learned this son has a long history of fornication.  He picked up with fornication again after he and this once divorced woman divorced.  Way of darkness with no light in them.

Concerning the man Pam planned to marry ...  I knew this marriage was not going to be good and told Pam.  Pam decided to postpone the wedding as a result.  It was after that, she disclosed the scripture that the man who marries divorced woman commits adultery.  That is when her intended husband's son planned to marry divorced woman.  After Pam spoke these scriptures, the man she was planning to marry didn't want anything to do with Pam.  It is a miracle that Pam postponed that wedding.  Had she married and then found out what this man thought about scripture it would have been a disaster.  This man said he was a Christian.  But he showed he didn't uphold or believe scripture. 

When I was in elementary school, I overheard my mother and my aunt talking about my dad's first wife.  I was shocked.  I didn't know he had a "first wife".  Upon hearing this, I didn't want to see my dad.  I knew divorce/remarriage as taught by God.  We did not attend a church.  I think God taught me this by His Spirit.   

========================================================================