Sunday, June 15, 2014

Cared for by our heavenly Father

Pam Padgett ... teacher

One day a couple years ago while out walking my dogs I saw that one of the neighbor dogs was out of the yard and running in the street.  That neighbor was out of town, and another neighbor's daughter, a young girl approx. 13 years old, had been taking care of the dog and was trying to catch the dog.  I helped the girl get the dog back into the yard.  She told me this was the second time that day the dog had gotten out, and that she hadn't been able to find how the dog was escaping.  I told her I'd come back and help her look for where the dog was getting out after taking my dogs home.

As I walked toward my house the girl's father drove into their driveway, returning from work.  I watched as the girl ran to her father, even before he got out of the car, saying "Dad, I need your help".  He got out of the car and before even going into the house, he went with his daughter to help her.  By the time I had taken my dogs home and returned, the father had already found the problem and was helping his daughter move some things that would block the dog from escaping.

Seeing this girl turning so strongly to her father, and her father helping her without hesitation, reminded me of how we turn to God with our requests and He helps us.

I was reminded of Jesus teaching us about making our requests to God ...  

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Whatever we need ... wisdom, understanding, physical things, comfort ... we can turn to God as this girl turned to her father, laying the matter out and making our request to our heavenly Father.  God always knows what is best for us and is able to do what is best in the matter.  Even more than an earthly father, God hears our requests and gives us that which is good.