Saturday, October 5, 2013

Meditation example

Meditation:  Joan Boney

I Tim. 6 ... But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  11But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.



Content means:
  - not wanting something more or different
  - satisfied with what you have
  
=============
Meditation:  Pam Padgett   

Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

There have been things I thought were "good" but were withheld from me as tried to do what was right in the sight of God ... and now I am very thankful to God that they were withheld ... for they would not have really been good for me. 

Seemed like it would be "good" to be popular, especially in college, but couldn't go along with immorality
Seemed it would be "good" to help people by working in field of counseling psychology, but I felt like a hypocrite in that field and couldn't continue.
Thought it would be "good" to marry Chuck, but he wanted nothing more to do with me when I warned of his son marrying a divorced woman
Believed was led by God to move.  One tudor-style house seemed "good" to me, but another offer was received/accepted before mine

good: 
- suitable to a purpose; effective
- producing favorable results
- beneficial
- unspoiled; uncontaminated
- fertile (i.e. good soil)
- valid, genuine, real
- healthy, strong, vigorous
- financially safe or sound
- honorable, worthy, respectable
- enjoyable, desirable, pleasant, happy
- dependable, reliable, right
- best; excellent of its kind
- adequate, ample, sufficient, satisfying
- morally sound or excellent (virtuous, honest, just, kind, benevolent, generous, sympathetic)
- proper, becoming, correct

Looking back, the things withheld from me were not really good ... and I was given things that were good ... God led me in truly good ways ... green pastures & quiet waters

Although I couldn't go along with things that would make me popular in college, false catholic doctrines I had been taught all my life were broken down when my friend would ask "where is that in the Bible?".  I began to learn to prove all things.  God taught me to meditate in scripture.  These things were truly beneficial, suitable to one chosen by God to be HIS child, produced fertile ground in me, helped me grow stronger in things of God. (Galatians 1:10 .....  for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.)

Felt like a hypocrite in counseling psychology.  People looked to me for help, but I didn't know what they needed unless God showed me.  With psychology could not really provide the help needed.  Led to career in computer programming ... really liked this ... when first found out what programming was all about, I was so thankful to God and kept saying "this is it!" ... fit/suited me very well ... no hypocrisy

After plans to marry broken up, saw that Chuck was really an unbeliever ... didn't believe word of God regarding adultery if a divorced woman remarries, although said he was a Christian.  Would have been terrible life.  Am very grateful for the life I now have. (2 Corin. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?)

Tudor-style house I wanted to buy had roof collapse shortly after being sold, and neighborhood was in a legal battle.  House I kept being reminded of as I prayed and which I bought was not as appealing initially, but I kept finding things I really like about it, such as the walk-in pantry.  Have had to do maintenance on house, as with all houses, but have not had anything like roof collapse.  And no legal battles.  Has been enjoyable, pleasant, even desirable to live here.