Monday, January 7, 2013

We do not have to answer every phone call

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Yesterday, someone shared following scripture on our blog ...

Prov. 4 ... Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.  24Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.  25Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. 26Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.  27Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
When I read it, I said, "That's it ... that explains why I did what I did Saturday."
 
My phone rang Saturday afternoon.   I have caller ID and could see it was a phone call from one of my cousins.  I did not want to speak with this cousin.  I did not answer the phone.  She left a message saying she had just returned to her home (in another city).  She had been in Houston where her step children live.  She had been there for two weeks and was very tired. (She is approximately 87 years old.) She said she hoped I had a "merry Christmas".
 
This call was all fleshly and I knew it.  I wanted no part of this.  
 
Christmas itself is a perverse matter, not set up by God, putting great burdens on people, and becoming a huge idol to many people.
 
I could tell my cousin was caught up in all this. Plus this cousin is eaten up by ungodly guilt.  She had not been in touch with me during Christmas.  I knew she was trying to make up for it.  While I feel very sorry for her I know I can't help her.  And I don't want to participate in her various strivings.  
 
But until I read Proverbs 4, I didn't know what I did in not answering phone was a godly act.
 
Our own phone should not control us.  We, through God's Spirit, should be in control.  We just do not have to answer each phone call.
 
Prov. 4 says ...  remove thy foot from evil. 
 
Evil ... is defined as that which causes you harm ... That which causes you grief and sorrow.

There are times when we can avoid such.