Thursday, January 17, 2013

Our lives are in the hands of God not man

Pam Padgett ... teacher

When Jesus was taken before Pilate,
Pilate thought he had power of himself to allow Jesus to live or die ...
 

John 19:6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him. 7 The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.8 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid; 9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? 11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.


It was the will of the Father that Jesus would die for our sins, the perfect sacrifice, redeeming us to God ....

John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

And Jesus submitted Himself to the will of the Father, laying down His life ...

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
 

Although this was the will of the Father, Jesus was helped even as He prayed in the garden, an angel being sent from heaven to strengthen Him ...

Luke 22:41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, 42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. 43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

We, also, encounter people who think they have power over us.  But our heavenly Father is constantly watching over us, nothing being hidden from Him, and works all things according to His purpose ...

Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

We cry out to God and submit ourselves to the will of God, knowing He is able to deliver us.  But if it is according to His purpose that we go through a difficult time God is able to help and strengthen us, no matter what we face. 

Our hope and trust is not in man, even those who claim to have great power.  Our hope and trust is in God who will never leave us nor forsake us .... 

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.