Sunday, January 27, 2013

Turning to God in times of trouble

Pam Padgett ... teacher

In Psalm 142 we have an example of turning to God in the midst of trouble.  This man
laid the matter out before God, turning to and trusting in God in the midst of the trouble ....   

Psalm 142:1 I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication. 2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.  

The way of God in dealing with problems is not to be strong in ourselves or in other people, nor to try to ignore or minimize the problems we are facing.  The way of God is to turn to Him with our whole hearts, honestly laying out the problem before Him, and asking for His help and guidance.   


Although this man was overwhelmed by the trouble, God knew each detail about the situation ....  

Psalm 142:3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.  

God knows even traps laid by the devil and our enemies that we are unaware of.  Nothing is hidden from God, and He guides us knowing the best way for us to go.   


Even though other people abandoned him, God did not ... 
 
Psalm 142:4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. 5 I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.

Regardless of what other people may or may not do to help us in the midst of our trouble, God is with us.  God guides, protects and provides for us as we deal with various matters on this earth.  We look to Him as our refuge and portion. 



While considering these things, I was also reminded of the following ...

Psalm 62:8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.