Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kept by God even in the night

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently while reading in Proverbs 23, a few verses especially stood out to me, and I spent some time thinking about what we're told here ...

Proverbs 23:4 Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. 5 Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

Proverbs 23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long.

A few nights later I had a dream which was about a woman who has shown hostility toward me since I asked her to remove my name from a distribution list she used to send what she considered to be "cute" emails about animals, but which included things that exalt animals above God.  This woman is a widow.  In the dream she mentioned going to do something with her husband.  I looked at her hand and saw a wedding ring. 

Although it was in the night, I woke from the dream, and thoughts started coming that this woman is being treated better than I am, having a husband again while I am single.  But immediately the Holy Spirit reminded me of what we're told in Proverbs 23:17 ...
Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long.   As I thought about fearing God by choosing HIS way and HIS will for my life and knowing that HIS way is best for me, the "fire" that came with the thoughts from the devil was extinguished.
 

Then, immediately, another thought came reminding me of a man who had said and done things that grieved me greatly during the last few years I was working at FedEx.  Because FedEx is now offering financial incentives for people to quit or retire, he plans to retire and will receive a substantial amount of money in addition to retirement pay.  When I believe God led me to retire last year, this financial incentive was not offered, and the thought came that this man was treated better than me.  

As soon as this thought came, however, the Holy Spirit reminded me again reminded of Proverbs 23:17 as well as what we're told in Proverbs 23:4 ...Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. 5 Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.  I also was reminded of Micah 2:10 Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest: because it is polluted, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction.  (This is the scripture that strongly stood out to me and I believe God used to show me to retire last year.)  Again, focusing on these things put to death the thoughts brought by the devil. 
  

It was unexpected to be so attacked by the devil in the middle of the night with thoughts that would bring resentment, envy, and discontentment.  But it was as though I had been strengthened and prepared before for the battle, and I was not alone in the battle as the Holy Spirit reminded me of exactly what was needed in the battle.  It wasn't that I was trying to think of scriptures, but the Holy Spirit was bringing the needed help to my mind. 

The devil is always looking for ways to harm and destroy us ...  

1 Peter 5:8-9  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

But God knows the snares that lie ahead of us and how to lead us in a way of safety ...

Psalm 142:3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.

It causes me to marvel and be very thankful to God to consider how God helps us, never leaving us, always with us, even in the middle of the night.  


Psalm 121:2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. 3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. 4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.