Friday, January 25, 2013

Hated for the sake of the word of God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Jesus taught that as He was hated, so we will be hated if we believe in Him and uphold His word.  We must endure the various tribulations we face, continuing in the faith, throughout our lives ...

Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Jesus gave teachings and instructions that help us to endure persecutions.  We are reminded that Jesus has gone before us in being hated.  If we are following Him, we will be treated as He was ...

Matthew 10:24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

Jesus gave us help in dealing with the fears that come to us when we are persecuted, teaching that the truth about each situation we face will be revealed at some point; it cannot be hidden ... those who hate us have no power over our souls so we must not fear them, but fear God ... and God cares deeply for us and is watching over each detail of our lives; we are not abandoned ...

Matthew 10:26 Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known. 27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. 28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

We are assured that enduring persecutions because of the word of God is not in vain, for is we speak and act before men according to the word of God, Jesus will confess us before the Father.  But if we don't, Jesus will deny us before the Father. 

Matthew 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

And Jesus prepared us to be hated even by our own families ...

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

As we are persecuted because of the word of God, we "lose" our life among those of the world as they shun, hate, and try to harm us.  Jesus taught us, however, that when we lose our life among those of the world, we find our life (our life in Him) ...

Matthew 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

We are also strengthened by Paul reminding us that the suffering we endure on this earth doesn't compare to the glory to come ...


Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

And Peter exhorted us to rejoice and not be ashamed when we suffer for the sake of the word of God ...

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. 14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. 15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. 16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.