Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cannot serve God with works of our flesh

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Jesus said ...
If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. (
John 12:26)

It stood out to me that we serve the Lord by following Him, following each word we're given by the Holy Spirit. 

We don't have a list of "good works" we think we should do in order to serve God.  We don't try to mentally reason what God may want us to do in a given situation. 
We cannot serve God with our own ideas or works of our flesh ... but by laying aside our own works. 

As a servant, we turn to God and wait to hear what we are to do.  When the Holy Spirit brings a word from God to our attention, we try to faithfully obey the word we've been given, led by the Holy Spirit. 

So we endeavor to rest from our own works and follow the way we are led by the Holy Spirit.  

Hebrews 4:For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.  11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.