Monday, February 16, 2015

Prove all things

Pam Padgettteacher

1 Thess. 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

I was raised in the Catholic church, attending several years of Catholic school and believing that everything I was taught in the Catholic church was correct.  Then after I was born again and went to college I became friends with another student who told me she was a born-again Christian.

We often spoke about God.  Sometimes I would say something I had been taught in the Catholic church and had thought to be true.  My friend would simply ask "Where is that in the Bible?"  

As I prayed and sincerely desired to know truth, I was led in proving various doctrines. Usually I was shown a scripture which showed whether or not the doctrine was true.  And sometimes I found that there was no basis at all in the Bible for the doctrine, that it was built on something else.  When a doctrine was opposite to what we're told in the Bible, or not in the Bible at all, I turned from that doctrine. 

By this I started learning to prove what I had been taught and to conform what I believe to what God has told us.

As I proved doctrines and believed what God has told us in the Bible, many false doctrines were uprooted.  And I landed up leaving the Catholic church.

Whether we are dealing with doctrines we are taught, thoughts that come to our minds, or comments other people may say, only God's word on the matter is good and is the only foundation that will stand and never fail.  We are able to stand only on what God has said.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thess. 5:21)