Friday, February 20, 2015

Delivered by God from strife of the world

Pam Padgettteacher

Psalm 18:43 Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people; ...

Those who live after the flesh strive to "out do" one another (a work of the flesh).  And they strive after things which cannot really satisfy and which are temporary and without lasting value. 

But when we are led by the Holy Spirit we are led in another way, a way of peace.

Last summer a neighbor told me of meetings that were starting to be held in our community to discuss the land that had once been a golf course around which this community was built.  The golf course is now closed and the land up for sale.  There was fear that the land would be sold to developers and many houses would be built on what is now open land.  The purpose of these meetings was to plan for the future, preparing for what to do if a developer buys the property. 

Initially my flesh was stirred up about all of this.  But then I turned to God and was given two things which changed how I saw all of this and kept me from getting involved in the meetings. 

The first thing I was given was ... But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Matt. 6:33-34)   Rather than getting involved in planning for what may happen in the future, I am to deal with what I am led by the Holy Spirit to do today.   The people at these meetings don't know what the future holds nor what I need.  But God knows what will happen in the future and provides everything I need now and in the future as I follow Him by His Spirit. 

The second thing I was given is the concept that people try to preserve the way things are now as much as possible.  But God has told us that all these things we see now are temporary and will be destroyed at the end of the world.  While we're on this earth, we are to live in a godly way, in peace, without spot, and blameless.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Considering these things, I decided not to get involved in the meetings. 

Later a neighbor mentioned having gone to one of these meetings and how various people at the meeting wanted their ideas to be heard and followed.  Strife and divisions were already becoming apparent.  I was very grateful that God led me to go another way, a way of trusting in HIM and of peace, and delivered me from the strivings of the people.