Thursday, February 5, 2015

Psalm 4 ... Prayers to God & Promises from God to the Church

1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness:
thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress;
have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
 

2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame?
how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing
(lies)? Selah.
 

3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself:
the Lord will hear when I call unto him.
 

4 Stand in awe, and sin not:
commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
 

5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
and put your trust in the Lord.
 

6 There be many that say, Who will shew us any good?
Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
 

7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart,
more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.
 

8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep:
for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.



==========

Comments by Joan Boney

Psalm 4:1 ... Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress;

enlarged:  
- made me larger, of greater size to be able to deal with matter

When there is a problem, it can seem so overwhelming that I don't see how I can face it.  The problem becomes so large and I become so small, so insignificant.

But turning to God changes everything.  When God gives me a word concerning the problem then I am enlarged and the problem diminishes.

The problem has me in distress...

distress:
- extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain

Often I panic ... feel helpless ... not knowing what to do ... It is a bad feeling until I turn to God and HE gives me a word ...

Root meaning of distress is:  to be stretched apart  

Comments by Pam Padgett:

An example of being in distress, stretched apart, but enlarged by God to be able to deal with the problems …

Early one morning I awoke hearing an unfamiliar sound.  When I looked to see the time, the electric digital clock was blinking, so I knew there had been a power outage.  I got out of bed to try to find what was causing the strange sound.  When I walked toward the bedroom door the sound became louder and I also noticed a smell as though something was too hot or smoldering.  The sound and smell were coming from an electric power strip my tv, cable box, and dvd player were plugged into.  I immediately unplugged the power strip and checked to see if the wall felt warm (it didn't).  I went to other areas of the house and found various problems, including that some areas had no electricity, problems with other power strips, no phone service (except cell phone), no internet. 

Even small electrical problems scare me, and now there were electrical problems all around me.  In addition, I hadn’t slept well for a few nights previous to this so was unusually tired.  All I could think to do was to unplug electrical devices, and crawl back into bed.  As I lay in bed, fears came of the possibility of an electrical fire and that I'd need to get the animals out and maybe a few other things.  But I was so overwhelmed that the thought of trying to make any preparations was just too much for me.  
 

I started talking to God, telling HIM how overwhelmed I was, and also laid the fears out to God, asking Him to protect us.  But mostly, I told God how overwhelmed I was and that I never wanted to get out of bed again.  The thought of having to face all of these problems was just too overwhelming for me.
 
Then my attention was drawn to the very strong winds blowing outside with the thought that just as God is so powerful that He directs and controls the winds, He is powerful enough to help me with these problems.  I had no strength at all, but this thought (from the Holy Spirit) reminded me that God is all powerful and HE is able to help me.  Focusing on this, I was strengthened and calmed, able to get out of bed again. 
 

Whereas my mind had previously been overwhelmed by all that needed to be done, my attention started to be drawn to what needed to be done first, then next.  I was led to deal with problems in a calm and orderly way.  Electrical breakers were reset, phone and internet services were restored, the electric company was called, critical electrical devices were safely plugged back in, etc. 

Step by step, one thought from the Holy Spirit after another, I was shown what to do in order to get power safely restored and to get items that were damaged by the outages repaired or replaced. 


==========


Psalm 4:3 ... 3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for Himself:


We know there is no good thing in our own flesh.  (Romans 7)  God chooses whom HE will.  (Romans 9)  Just as God chose Paul, God chooses us today and causes us to be godly.  Paul was enroute to Damascus to catch followers of Jesus and imprison and cause them to be slain when Jesus spoke to him.  Paul was not doing godly works when Jesus spoke to Paul.  God chose Paul to be a vessel to HIMSELF not because Paul's works were good but simply because it was God's will to use Paul.

Acts 9 ...  1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, 2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem. 

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus:and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? 

And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest:it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? 

And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. 8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man:but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus. 9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
 

10 And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. 11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus:for, behold, he prayeth, 12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight. 

13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:14 And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name. 

15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way:for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. 

17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales:and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

God chooses whom HE will ...  certainly not because of works or worthiness, but simply because that is what God wants to do.

Romans 9 ... 6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children:but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
 

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Thus we, are "godly" because God chose us to belong to HIMSELF.  And therefore we are "set apart" for the service to God as Paul was chosen and set apart to serve God as God willed.

I Peter 2 ...  9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of HIM who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light:

==========

Psalm 4:3 ... the Lord will hear when I call unto HIM.

Which of you do not hear your own children?  How much more will God hear those who belong to God, HIS own children ...


Mt. 7 ... 7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

==========

Psa 4:5 ... Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
and put your trust in the Lord (The WORD) ...

Romans 12 ... 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world:but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It is a great blessing from God that after we are born again to be children of God we have power to keep our flesh crucified that we might serve God rather than serving our own desires as we once did.  This is not a sad thing to do ... rather we rejoice that the flesh no longer has control.  We delight to put ourselves into a service to God, to the WORD.

We no longer have to be subject to this world and the power of darkness of this world for now we are dead and our life is hid with Christ.  We rejoice in HIM, in the WORD, knowing we have everything worth having.

While the people of the world seek to be fulfilled in their flesh, we keep our flesh crucified, not allowing the flesh to do as it wishes to do.  Nor do we allow the flesh to speak as it wants to speak, harming others and exalting ourselves.

Romans 6 ... 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death:that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
 

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once:but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
 

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin:but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you:for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
 

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? 

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 

19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh:for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
 

20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. 21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We do not have to allow the flesh and the tongue to reign over us as we once did.

I Cor. 10 ... 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man:but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

In the midst of the temptation we now have the power to pray, asking God to deliver us.

Concerning the tongue, we now have the power to pray, asking God to keep us from saying something hurtful and harmful.

We now have faith in God and in HIS power over our flesh and over our tongue.

A woman who was committing fornication while calling herself Christian once asked me if I feel "fulfilled".

God shows me the following concerning fulfillment on this present earth.

Col. 3 ... 1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
 

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:6 For which things 'sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
 

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free:but Christ is all, and in all.

==========

Psalm 4:7 ... Thou hast put gladness in my heart,
more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.


God puts HIS Word in my heart ... over and over this happens, throughout my life.  Thus God leads me by HIS WORD.  God comforts me by HIS WORD.  I am able to overcome the troubles of this present life by HIS WORD which HE gives me by HIS Spirit in the midst of the problem. God restores me by HIS WORD.

Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet (of the Word of God), and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our LORD

neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD (the WORD) is your strength.

The WORD given me by God by HIS Spirit causes me to feel confident and secure in taking action.

Psa. 119:105 ...  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

... The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

By HIS WORD I dwell safely ... 

- protected from danger, risk, or injury

==========

In 1982, I had a very big travel schedule across the United States to have meetings in cities where I was on radio.  God gave me a dream in which HE showed me great danger to me and then HE said in the dream:  "Don't go until you see Exodus 15."

Because of this instruction, I took immediate action.  I cancelled all meetings scheduled for that year.  I was also scheduled to be a guest on some TV talk shows.  I cancelled these too.

God had given me information at that time concerning judgment coming to the house of God and corruption taking place in specific ministries.  I spoke these on my own radio broadcasts.  But to travel would have meant danger to me (from people who thought themselves to be of God) as God showed me in that dream.  I did what I heard.  I did not go out.  I did continue radio broadcasts at that period.  Jesus warned HIS disciples ... 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues:yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.  Jn. 16  (The danger comes from people who think themselves to be Christians but have not the Spirit.)

Before this instruction, while I was still traveling and having meetings, I was at Seattle Center for a meeting with radio audience.  At the door of the meeting room waiting for me stood the radio station manager.  He said:  "Joan, you have many good messages.  Just speak those messages.  If you keep speaking these judgment messages I don't know what will happen to you.  We might have to put you off the air."

Without any thought whatsoever on my part, the following words (by the Holy Spirit) came out of my mouth:  "George ... if I don't speak the message I believe to be from God then I don't have a message and I may as well be off the air."

This statement defined the next 30+ years for me.


Speak the message you believe to be from God for that is the only message you have.