Monday, February 2, 2015

Similar problems but different instruction from God

Pam Padgettteacher

A few weeks ago one of my cats stopped eating and was hiding, indicating she was sick.  I was concerned and prayed about whether to take the cat to the vet.  After praying, my attention kept being drawn to how cold it was outside and that this would add to the already stressful situation of going to the vet for the cat.  I believed I was being led to not take the cat to the vet at that time.  And I had the idea to put a bowl of food under the bed where the cat was hiding.  She eventually started eating and was fine after a few days, drinking water, eating well, and enjoying sleeping in the sunshine as usual. 

Then last week the same cat became sick again.  I prayed about what to do and believed I was led to take the cat to the vet.  Although I thought the cat probably had just a respiratory infection and could be easily treated with antibiotics, the vet found this was not the case and that there was a serious problem.  The vet said there was a small chance that the cat would recover on its own at home, but the vet recommended taking the cat to a critical care pet hospital where they could carefully monitor the cat and try to determine what was causing the problem and treat it.  

I again prayed, asking what to do.  As I prayed I was reminded of ... They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. (Matt. 9:12)  This cat was sick, and I believed I was being led to take her to the critical care hospital, which I did.

I prayed for wisdom for those treating the cat and for me in making decisions regarding the cat's care.  The vet explained what he thought was the best course of action, leaving the cat there for some tests and treatment, and I agreed that this seemed reasonable.  When I got home, I continued praying for wisdom and even went back and looked at what we're told about asking for wisdom ...

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

I certainly lacked wisdom in what decisions to make, but believed that God would give me wisdom in how to deal with this as I had asked. 

The next morning I called to check on the cat and learned that her condition had gotten much worse.  I was very glad the cat was not at home when her condition grew worse, for it would have been much harder for both the cat and me.  

The vet said they still did not know what was causing the problem and said they could do more tests.  But as I considered this and the cat's advanced age and general condition, this did not seem to me to be the right way to go.  The cat would have to endure more pain and discomfort and, even with addition tests, the vets may not find the problem or may not be able to treat the problem.  Rather than putting the cat (and me) through more distress, I asked for the cat to be put to sleep. 

After telling this decision, the vet told me that the tests already done had uncovered kidney disease and kidney stones which were in addition to whatever was causing the current problems.  Hearing this, I was especially glad to have made this decision. Later I was reminded that I had prayed for wisdom.  I believe God gave me wisdom in making this decision. 

Thinking about the way I've been led over the past several weeks with this cat, there is gratitude toward God and I think my faith is strengthened in turning to God with each problem that comes along.  We may be led very differently in problems that seem to us to be similar. 

We can't rely on the way we, or someone else, may have been led in a similar situation in the past.  Only God knows what is best for us in the current situation.  HE cares for us and knows each detail about the situation.  And HE is able to lead us in the best way to go and to give us the wisdom we need.