Friday, February 1, 2013

We are blessed to be led by God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently an elderly neighbor asked me how it had come about that I worked at FedEx, where I worked for many years before retiring.  I told him my college degree was in counseling psychology, but I found that I hated doing that.  Not knowing what I wanted to do, I eventually took secretarial jobs.  Although I was thankful to have the work, I was bored and turned to God and told Him this, asking if there was something else I might be able to do (but  also was willing to continue in this job if that was what He wanted me to do).  Through a secretarial job I had an opportunity to learn about computer programming and found that I loved programming.   I got a job with a small software development company.  When this company was about to go bankrupt, I cried out to God to show me what to do.  When I took a class in how to interview, the woman teaching the class told me about entry-level programming jobs at FedEx and gave me the name of a contact there.  This contact gave every manager a copy of my resume, and I was given an interview, and then offered a job by one of the managers. 

After hearing this story, my neighbor told me how fortunate I had been to have a job doing something I really liked doing.  He said he thinks most people work just to make a living and support their families, like he had done, but didn't really enjoy what they were doing.  He again told me how fortunate I had been. 

Later, I was thinking about and thanking God that HE led me to do something that suited me so well.  


We truly are fortunate (blessed) when God leads us. 

I also recalled what had caused me to go into counseling psychology, which I landed up hating.  While at a Bible study a thought came to me that caused me to go in this direction.  Being a very immature Christian, I assumed this thought was from God, and didn't pray asking God if this thought was from Him (didn't try the spirit that brought the thought).  Even though I acted so foolishly, however, God had mercy on me and moved me to another field, the one that was best for me. 

When we have been called by God to be His children, His sheep, He leads and guides us by His Spirit.  As we follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, we are taken in the best way for us ... green pastures and still waters.  And even if we go a wrong way, God is able to get us back on the correct path ...

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.