Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Let patience have her perfect work

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Recently one of a set of 3 hanging light fixtures in my kitchen went out.  I called electrician.  He said he would be over next day around 4 pm.  He did not show up nor call.  So I called him the following day and I asked if he would like to reschedule since he did not get to my house as planned.  He scheduled again.  Again he did not show up.  Again I called and asked if he would like to reschedule.  Four times this happened.  Finally he did show up and worked on fixture for about 5 minutes and the fixture was working when he left my house.  But within a matter of hours the fixture failed to work.  I called him again and that time he did not answer phone but I left message.  I never heard from him again.

Amazingly I was not angry.  I was sorry this young man did business the way he did knowing it will harm him, but I was not angry.

I called another electrician.  I explained the type of fixture and the electrician said, "We work on all fixtures."  So I let him come to my house.  He arrived about 10:30 that morning and was there until 5 pm working on that fixture.  (He did leave for short lunch.)  When he left the fixture did work.  And since that time fixture has continued to work.  When he left my house I said, "I'll bet you hope you never see that kind of fixture again."  He replied, "Oh, no ... now I know how to fix it."  It was obvious to me that when he started working on the fixture he didn't know how to fix it.  Of course it cost me money for him to learn, but I know God will repay me and all I need to do is to do what God wants me to do.

Several times during that period I went to kitchen.  Each time he assured me that the fixture would be fixed.  I just kept saying, "Well, that's the important thing." (my focus remained on target)

I think both of these above examples are examples of "letting patience have her perfect work" as James instructed.

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;  3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.  James 1

While our flesh does not get any better and we want to tell the person off in such cases as this, we can overcome our flesh by the Spirit, yielding at the time to what we believe God wants.

James 1 ... Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. 21Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. 22But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.