Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Turning from pride and being humble before God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

A few years ago while still working this verse stood out to me.   I was reminded of many times I had entered into contention, entering into strife and conflict while trying to get someone else to do what I thought needed to be done in a work project, or to convince others that my ideas were the best way to go.  Much trouble comes when we think so highly of our own ideas and ways and expect others to think as highly of them as we do. 

After this verse stood out to me and considering what we're told in it, I was often reminded of this when starting to strive with someone and was helped to step back and turn to God, asking Him how to handle whatever the issue was, asking God for wisdom. 

It was hard on my flesh to step back and humble myself before God rather than letting my pride have free reign.   But without exception, in the end I was so grateful to God for helping me do so.  Turning to God and being led by the Holy Spirit ... well advised in wisdom from God ... was much more peaceful and profitable.  Often what had seemed so important, was shown to be not important at all.  When there was something that needed to be dealt with, I could move forward, not in my own ideas, but in wisdom from God. 

We bring much trouble to ourselves and others when we walk in pride.  But when we humble ourselves before God, He is able to leads us in the ways of peace and life.  


Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.