Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Seeking to please and serve God not man

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently I've noticed several times people being interviewed on television news-type shows say that nothing is more important than family, as they tell what they have done to support various relatives, sometimes even in wrong-doing
Its as though "family" is an idol being worshiped.  Other people shown on the shows nod, apparently in agreement.  

But I find myself shuddering and re-establishing myself that serving God (not man) is the most important thing, and am often reminded that Jesus told us that the first and great commandment is to love God with all of our heart, soul, and mind ...

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.

And I've also been reminded that Paul taught us the following about seeking to please men ...

Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

For those of us who have been called by God and are led by the Holy Spirit, we seek to serve God above all.  When a matter comes up or we are concerned about someone, we can turn to God and ask for wisdom in what to do.  When we believe we are shown the way God would have us go, we go in that way ... serving God. 

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters:for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.