Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Flesh kept from ruling by walking in word given by the Holy Spirit

Pam Padgett - teacher   

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Several years ago when reading this passage of scripture my attention was drawn to "strife" being a work of the flesh.  As I considered this in my life I saw one way I have entered into strife was in struggling with others to get what I wanted.  I prayed about this, asking God to help me keep my flesh from rising up in strife, and thought on this quite a bit. 

About this time I was having the master bathroom remodeled at my house.  One day electricians were here to run a new circuit needed for the work.  At the time I thought I might put a small sound system in the master bedroom area and asked the lead electrician if he could run an addition new circuit in case I did this.  He seemed irritated and said he couldn't do this and went on to give reasons he couldn't do it.  As he told these reasons it became obvious to me that he planned to run a metal pipe around the outside of the house to enclose the new circuit.  I asked if there was some other way to run the new circuit, thinking the metal pipe would look ugly.  He verbally struck out at me. 

My flesh was ready to rise up and argue with him, struggling to get what I wanted.  But before I said anything a thought came, the Holy Spirit reminding me to not enter into strife.  Being reminded of this and not wanting to enter into strife, I was able to turn and walk away without arguing. 

The electricians went on with their work, and I turned to God and prayed, committing the situation to HIM to work out however HE wanted, and thanked HIM for keeping me from entering into strife in this matter.  I was so grateful to have been helped to not enter into strife ... this was far more important to me than how the electrical work was done.

A short time later the electrician came and told me that they had encountered a nest of wasps in the area where they needed to work and asked if I had bug spray they could use to kill the wasps.  I was genuinely sorry they had come across this danger and immediately looked, but had no bug spray.  I told them I would get some bug spray at the store right away.  (By being kept from entering into strife earlier, I think my heart was in good condition where this man and the man helping him were concerned, and I really cared about their welfare and wanted to help them not be stung by wasps.)

When I returned home from the store 10-15 minutes later, the electrician was smiling and seemed very happy.  He said that while they were waiting on me, they had looked in the attic area and saw a small opening that allowed them to run the new circuit through the attic.  This was much easier for them than running the metal pipe around the house.  And he said it was no more work to run the second circuit, so he did that as well.  

This was a complete change from when I spoke with the electrician earlier, and I thanked God for this. 

While thinking about this recently, I thought about how my flesh was kept under by walking in what the Holy Spirit first drew my attention to and then reminded me of ... to not enter into strife.

And I believe there is evidence of fruit of the Spirit also coming forth in this ... love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would