Monday, September 14, 2015

Led by the Spirit in firmness to resolve problem

Pam Padgett ... teacher

For about two weeks I've been having trouble with my cable tv service.  When trying to tune to some channels an error message would display.  During this time I talked on the telephone with the cable company's technical support at least three times, and two technicians had come to my house to try to resolve the problem.  Both of these technicians said the problem was in the main lines and should be fixed in a day or two.  The first technician also found some connection problems where the line comes into my house.  After he secured these connections my telephone worked much better, and I've been very glad about this (my telephone service is also through the cable company).

But still the problem with the tv channels continued and progressively got worse.  A channel I could watch one day would start getting an error message the next.  I found myself tense, almost holding my breath, when going to another channel not knowing if it would work.

I've prayed about this many times, telling God how frustrated this was to me and that I really needed help to know how to deal with this to get it completely resolved.

A few nights ago I woke in the night thinking about this with many ideas running through my mind as to what I might do, such as threatening to change to another company.  Again I called out to God to help me deal with this correctly.  And while praying I was shown I had fear regarding this problem ... fear that I'd keep "spinning my wheels" trying to get this resolved, and fear that I'd let my flesh rise up and lash out at someone in anger and frustration ... and prayed about this as well.   

Three scriptures were called to my attention.  I wrote these down and began thinking about these things, and was calmed and able to go back to sleep.  I also looked at and thought on these during the following days. 

Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

During this time I was also reminded of something that happened last winter.  I was frustrated that a cable line had not been buried after several weeks and I had to watch the dogs carefully so they didn't chew on it.  At first I entered into strife over the matter.  But when I turned to God and committed the matter to HIM, the line was buried that day, even though I'd been told by the cable company that it could not be done until sometime in the future. 

Yesterday I believe I was led to call the cable company again.  Even as the call was going through I was asking God to give me wisdom in what to say. 

When a woman answered I explained the situation and how many attempts I had already made to try to get this resolved.  Then I said "I want the problem resolved today or tomorrow"  (Thursday or Friday). 

I was surprised that I said this.  Its very unlike me to deal with a matter like this by giving a deadline.  I wasn't even sure this was reasonable or realistic.   But this is what was strongly in my heart, I believe from God, and this is what came forth.  I spoke calmly but firmly, not in anger or indignation. 

After a pause in which she seemed to be checking a schedule, the woman said a technician could come to my house on Saturday or Sunday.  I again told her "I want the problem resolved today or tomorrow".  She asked me to hold. 

When she came back on the line she said a supervisor over the technicians would call me.  When I asked when I could expect his call, she said they usually call within 24 hours.  I again told her "I wanted the problem resolved today or tomorrow".  She again asked me to hold.   

A few minutes later she told me the supervisor would call me within an hour or two at the most.   The supervisor called a short time later and said he was sending someone out right away.

This technicians arrived in less than an hour and very diligently started working.  He seemed extremely competent and continued working until he had completely resolved the problem.  All channels are now coming in fine again. 

I've been thanking God for all HE has done in this. 


Comments by Joan Boney

Sometimes we have to take firm action ... Pam turned to God many times and I believe this firm action was what was needed to get the problem resolved.

It stood out to me that Pam asked God what was needed.

Must go by the Spirit and not by a formula and I believe this to be excellent example of going by the Spirit and taking firm action.