Sunday, September 20, 2015

God is a jealous God

Juliett Walton ... Member of body of Christ

Years ago an aunt told me that "God is a jealous God". I told her "yes He is".   This  is found several places in the old testament. I noticed this when we were going through the books of Exodus and Deuteronomy in the series of  Reviewing The works of God In Scripture. 

In  the new testament Paul speaks in Corinthians 10:20-22 of provoking the Lord to jealousy.  20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God:and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils:ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

 Recently in speaking with this aunt, she told me again the same thing. I agreed with her and told her that I had looked up the word jealous in the dictionary.  One definition is demanding exclusive loyalty :as The Lord is a jealous God. When I told her this she gasped.  I said "yes, that is really something to think about isn't it?"