Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Led by God in making a change

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A few weeks ago my printer quit printing.  I made sure the ink cartridge was not empty and went through trouble-shooting steps suggested for this printer, but nothing worked.  Although I seldom print anything, its convenient to have a printer when needed.  But I really didn't want to go through the process of looking for a new printer and getting it set up.

I prayed about whether to repair or replace the printer.   

After praying, I found that I wanted to look at new printers to see if there might be one I liked. 

At the nearby office supply store, one printer caught my eye.  But as I prayed about it, I was reminded that in addition to printing, I have also liked the convenience of having the "copy" and "scan" functions on my current printer.  This printer that I was considering could only print. 

I continued praying. 

At first I didn't see any other printers that I liked.  But then I overheard another customer ask a salesman about a specific brand of printers and he point out another aisle with printers.  This was the first I knew that there were more printers available.  When I went to that aisle, I found a printer with copy and scan functions, of the brand that has worked well for me in the past, and of a size that was easy for me to manage.  This printer was better in every way for what I need than I had thought possible, and I bought it.

My old printer is in a "computer cabinet" on the main level of my house.  My computer had also been in that cabinet until after I got a laptop a few years ago which fits very nicely on a small desk in my bedroom upstairs.  (I prefer to sit at this small desk rather than at the cabinet.)  But because my computer was upstairs and the printer downstairs, when I needed to print I would have to go down the stairs to get what printed out then come back up the stairs to my computer.  Since I printed infrequently I kept forgetting about the inconvenience of this until the next time I needed to print something. 

When I took the new printer out of the box, I was surprised to see that it is small enough to set on a shelf under the tv in my bedroom.  (The old printer was too large to fit on that shelf.)   And the new printer was extremely easy to setup and configure. 

Interestingly, I've found myself needing to print several things since getting the new printer.  Often when I hit the "print" button then simply walk across the room to pickup what has printed I find myself thanking God. 

Although I didn't initially want to go through making this change, it was actually a very easy change to make and has turned out much better for me