Thursday, September 24, 2015

Ways of God are opposite to ways of the world

Pam Padgett - teacher

Recently while reading in Psalm 119 the following stood out to me ...

Psalm 119:126 It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law.

127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
129 Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.

130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

All around us we see those who ignore the laws of God, making them "void" in their lives (but the law of God is not void; we will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ). 

But for us the Word of God is our Lord, that which we love, cling to, and obey.  We hold what God says to be right, and hate those things opposite to the Word of God (false ways).

The Word of God rises up in us, working in us by the Holy Spirit, turning us from ways of the world and to ways of God.
 
And God's words give light and understanding to the "simple" ...  those who humble themselves before God seeking to do HIS will rather than seeking to be wise in ways of this world. 


I was again reminded of what we're told in Psalm 119 as I read Romans 12. We're exhorted to not be conformed to this world, but transformed (changed), our minds renewed to the word of God. 

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.


While reading some of the instructions given in Romans 12, it stood out to me how opposite ways of God are to ways of the world.  Here are some notes I made while considering these things ...

9 Let love be without dissimulation (pretense, hypocrisy)
Our love for God and for each other should be genuine, sincere, not just trying to look "good" by phony, fleshly acts as is so common by those of the world.
 

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 
I love to read and think on things of God, what HE has done and what HE has told us to do and to work to do these things. 

And I find myself turning away from evil such as some tv shows and even some commercials, for I am troubled and repulsed by the immorality, wisdom of man, and hatred shown.  I don't want to take these things into my heart.  Often when I see evil, I think on what God has said.  An example ... often when I see short, tight-fitting dresses on women, I think on what we're told in the following ... In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. (1 Timothy 2:9-10)


10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
A way of the world is to compete with one another, to try to surpass others.  But we're led to keep our flesh from rising up and to care for one another, sincerely wanting each person to grow in things of God. 


11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 
In whatever we do, we seek to do what is right in the sight of God, praying and wanting to go in the way we are led by HIM in the matter. 

When we work, we do the best job we can rather than just trying to "get by".  Often I pray asking for wisdom in how to do the work.
 
When someone does work for us, we want to deal honestly and well with them.  I find myself praying about who to hire, and exactly what to ask them to do.  Sometimes additional work needs to be done that was not obvious at first.  When I've seen this, I pay for this extra work, even if the worker doesn't ask for additional money.  Ready to pay them for their time and work, not wanting to take advantage in any way.


12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
We are so blessed, for we have been chosen by God and are no longer of this world.  We look for new heavens and new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness. 

When problems come, we are not left to our own devices.  We are able to turn to God in prayer, laying the matter out before Him and He is able to, and does, help us.  
In everything, no matter what we're dealing with, we can turn to God in prayer and thanksgiving.  What great cause for rejoicing we have! 


13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
One person may be given a word or scripture that is exactly what another needs.  We may be able to help another person in a secular or physical way.  (Sometimes I have been able to help someone with a problem they are having getting or sending emails.)   We distribute what we have been given, trusting that God knows what each person needs and provides that need, sometimes using us as we distribute that which HE gives us. 


14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
Rather than harboring hatred and resentment toward those who hate and persecute us, we can remember the great mercy God has shown toward us.  As we think on this, we are able to forgive and deal with a good heart toward the person. 

(Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. 24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. 29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: 33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? 34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. 

35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.  Matthew 18:23-35)


15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
As we keep our flesh under control, works of the flesh such as envy and jealousy are kept from rising up in us.  We can sincerely rejoice with those who rejoice in what God has done. 

And we have compassion on those who are going through problems, praying, and being willing to help and comfort them.
 

16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

A way of the world is to honor those who have achieved things of this world and disregard those who have not. 

We who are of God know that we were chosen not because of what we have done, but because it pleased God to choose us.  We rejoice in each person God has chosen and for how God has set each in the body of Christ as HE pleased. 

(1 Corin. 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?  20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:  23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.)


17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 
Even if someone deals wrongly with us, we don't deal wrongly with that person.  For example, they may cheat us, but we don't cheat them.  Instead we try to deal well and honestly with them. 


18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Many set out to "speak their minds", with no regard for others nor for what is right in the sight of God.  Our goal is to carefully consider what we do and say, wanting to speak and do as we are led by the Holy Spirit and not wanting to bring trouble unnecessarily. 


19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 
Recently I've noticed that many movies being advertised are about "getting revenge" for some perceived wrong.  But the way of God is not for us to seek revenge.  God will repay when vengeance is needed.  We're to even help our enemy if they have a need. 

(At first, I didn't think I could help an enemy.  But then I recalled a neighbor who became angry with me when I asked her to remove my name from an email distribution list she used to send out things she considered cute, but which were sometimes contrary to the Bible.  After this when she saw me she either tried to avoid me or glared at me.  This neighbor had two cats which I had previously taken care of several times.  Sometime after she became angry with me, I saw a vet tech vehicle at her house.  I knew how much this woman enjoyed her cats and that one of the cats had not been eating well the last time I cared for it.  There was a genuine concern and I prayed asking God if there was anything I could do.  I believed I should call and offer to help if needed.  I called and left a message, sincerely wanting to help her if needed.  She replied via email that both cats had been diagnosed with cancer, but that she didn't need any help.) 



21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
Rather than accepting the evil and going in the way of evil, we overcome the evil and go in the way of God by turning to HIM and clinging to HIS Word to us in the matter.  God's word and His way is good.  We overcome evil as we go according to His word.