Friday, April 19, 2013

Walk honestly toward those of the world

Pam Padgett ... teacher

This week I went to get my hair cut.  The young woman who cut my hair asked me where I work, and I told her I was retired and had been a computer programmer before retiring.  She asked how long I had to go to school to be a computer programmer.  I shared with her how I had prayed about being bored in the job I was in and asked God if there was something I might do that would be more interesting to me, and how I was led to programming, getting a job after taking only a few classes.  She showed no understanding of God having done this, and said I had really been lucky.  I simply told her again that I believe God did this.   

Later she asked me what I do during the day and I told her the few, simple things I usually do each day.  Being of the world, what I do daily seemed to sound boring to this young woman.  Then, after a pause, she excitedly told me I should travel and go all over the world.  


After returning home, I recalled what she said about traveling and thought of how the flesh wants excitement and action.  I was reminded of the counsel we are given to study to be quiet and to do our own business ...

1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; 12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

Being quiet (still, calm, not noisy), doing our own business, and working with our own hands are opposite ways to the ways of the flesh.  As we go in this way, it doesn't make sense to those of the world. 

And I marveled in the ways of God as I read that these things allow us to walk honestly toward those of the world and to have lack of nothing.  In addition to honestly answering this young woman's questions, including telling a little of what God has done in my life, I felt that the cost of the haircut should have been more than she charged considering the time she spent (my hair is very thick, requiring more time).  So I paid her more, what I felt was an honest amount.  


The flesh leads in ways that often drain us physically and financially.  Living a quiet life, tending to our own business, and working with our own hands as led by the Holy Spirit, we lack nothing and don't have financial pressures which would make us reluctant to deal honestly.

Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!