Saturday, April 6, 2013

True peace is not from the world

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Jesus said ... Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (
John 14:27)

Peace that the world gives is superficial and not lasting, having no sound basis.  The world is full of works of the flesh including hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, envying, and murders (Galations 5:19-20).  These are opposite to peace. 


The peace Jesus spoke of leaving with us enables us to overcome those things which trouble us and bring fear, that we might live in true peace ...
undisturbed, calm, tranquil, quiet; freedom from war, conflict, disturbance, disorder, disagreements, quarrels.

Before telling His disciples that He was leaving peace with them, Jesus taught the following which show a few of the ways we have peace in Him ...

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Jesus is the Word of God (John 1).  Whenever we are troubled about something, we can turn to God asking for help.  As we believe the word God gives to us in the matter, carefully considering and going in the ways shown by that word, the troubling is quieted.  The matter is dealt with by the word of God, which is sure and will not fail. 


John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

We are in the world only temporarily.  Jesus prepares a home for us where we will be with Him for ever, and He will return for us.  We are helped from taking up in our hearts turmoil and conflicts of this world, which rob peace from us, as we remember that this is not our home. 


John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. ..... 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

We are not left alone on this earth.  The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, has been given to each believer, living in us.  The Comforter helps us and strengthens us in the ways of God ... showing us truth, teaching us, bringing to us the word from God we need to deal with a specific matter, leading us in the ways of God, interceding for us, showing us things to come.  We are able to be in peace as we follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, knowing we are being led according to the will of God.