Saturday, March 31, 2018

I Peter 4:1-2


Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.


*****

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

We "suffer in the flesh" each time we make our own flesh suffer refusing to do the will of the flesh.

The flesh wants to do something.  It is contrary to scripture.  We say, "NO, you cannot do that."

Our flesh suffers when we do not allow it to do what it wants to do.

God taught me this several years ago.  I had been meditating on the following scripture.

Ephesians 4:29    Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Edify:  to build in faith in God; to cause others to glorify God.


I was at my neighbor's house during the USA presidential election season.  I wanted very much to ask, "And what do you think about such & such."  (Really I just wanted an opening to tell what I thought.)

But I had been studying Ephesians 4:29 ... 

I knew my question would not bring about edification, causing neighbors to glorify God.  

The temptation was so great to speak what I wanted to speak, what my own flesh wanted to speak.

But the scripture won out and controlled me and kept my flesh from speaking.

As a result, I found I was suffering in the flesh, not allowing my flesh to do what it wanted to do.

When we control our own flesh through prayer or scripture, we "mortify" the flesh ... kill  the  flesh.

Colossians 3:1-6    If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with Him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:


*****

Our flesh wants to do the works of the flesh:

Galatians 5:19-21     Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft (living in various superstitions), hatred, variance (to vary: argue, debate), emulations (win out over others, compete thus exalt oneself), wrath (revenge), strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

When we keep our flesh from doing what it wants, we suffer in the flesh.


*****