Friday, March 16, 2018

Ephesians 4:29


Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.


*****

Comments by Joan Boney:

Edify:  to build the other person up in the faith in God

Pray, settle the matter with God, and then tell the story and tell how God resolved it for you.  

This will glorify God who helps us to know what to do as we live on this earth.


*****

Sometimes I will see a story on CNN and find it troubling.  I don't want to trouble others with a needless troubling.  So I just pray, asking God to keep me from repeating that story to another person.  And God does keep me from telling the story.


***** 

God taught me to use Ephesians 4:29 one time when I was visiting my neighbors.  It was during the USA presidential election.  I wanted to ask what they thought about one of the candidates.  But I knew this would not be edifying and would cause our conversation to explode into an unprofitable direction.  Actually I just wanted an entrance to tell what I thought.  People often use questions to open a conversation where they can tell what they think.

But I had just read Ephesians 4:29 ... Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Instantly I prayed for God to stop me ... I really wanted to tell this.  

God did stop me.  I did not tell what I thought.  It would not be "edifying", building them in a spiritual way.

I spent several weeks reviewing this scriptures daily until I gathered strength to control my own flesh and tongue.

The scripture can have power over what we say and do if we will think on that scripture until it over rules our flesh.

Joshua 1:8   This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.


*****