Monday, December 10, 2012

Hope in God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

In Psalm 42 the psalmist tells of various problems being faced and feeling cast down and disquieted (anxious, uneasy, disturbed, restless).  But he turned to God, hoping in God and HIS help to be restored ...

Psalm 42:6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. 7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. 8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. 9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? 11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

I thought of various things we face in our lives that disquiet us as well.  We find that we aren't in peace but, rather, are feeling anxious, uneasy, disturbed, or restless.  But when we turn to God with each thing troubling us, we hope in God, trusting Him to show us what (if anything) we need to do and to restore us so that we're able to move forward in peace. Even if we don't know what is causing us to be disquieted, God knows and knows how to help us. 

While thinking about this, I was reminded of how important it is for us to live in peace.  We need to continually deal before God with everything that disquiets us so we can live in peace.  Peter exhorted us to be diligent to be found of God in peace, as well as without spot and blameless ...

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.