Monday, December 24, 2012

Great gain

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Almost a year ago I retired from FedEx after working there for many years.  There were things that troubled me greatly during the last year at my job, and I had prayed asking God what to do.  After praying for several months, one day the following strongly stood out to me and I thought it may have to do with my job ...  Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest: because it is polluted, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction. (Micah 2:10)  After asking God to confirm if He was showing me to leave my job and believing it was confirmed to me, I retired.  My life has been so much more peaceful since retiring, and I frequently thank God for this and for His mercy in showing me to leave and not be destroyed, as well as for abundantly providing everything I need.  

Recently two people told me that FedEx announced a program in which employees may voluntarily quit or retire and are given a generous severance package.  When I first heard this I was so grateful to not be there as they sort through who would leave and how to cover all the work.  But thoughts also came telling me that I had retired "too soon" and missed out on the severance package.  This was also mentioned by one of the people who told me about the program.  Turning to God with these thoughts, I was reminded of

Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

No amount of money would be worth being destroyed.

To natural eyes it might look like I retired "too soon", but God knew the best time for me to retire and how to keep me safe, and I believe He led me to retire several months before this program was offered.

Great gain is not in money and things of this world, but in godliness with contentment ...

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Word and thoughts come to us trying to steal joy and peace God gives to us as He leads us, provides for us, and protects us.  But as we turn to God and think on those things brought to us by the Holy Spirit, He restores us.