Sunday, December 23, 2012

A man after God's own heart

Pam Padgett ... teacher

God said of King David that he was a man after God's own heart and who fulfilled the will of God ...

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

I was reminded of this as I read Psalm 63. 

Although a king, his great desire was to seek God, to hear and to do the will of God and to depend on Him ...
Psalm 63:1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

It wasn't his own power and glory that he wanted, but to see the power and glory of God... 
Psalm 63:2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

He considered the lovingkindness of God to be better than life on this earth ...
Psalm 63:3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. 4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. 5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

And he kept his mind on God ...
Psalm 63:6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

His trust was in God, not man, to help him ...
Psalm 63:7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. 8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. 9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth. 10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

And he rejoiced in God, not things of this earth ...
Psalm 63:11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.