Friday, December 7, 2012

Guarding our souls

Pam Padgett ... teacher

As Jesus was teaching His disciples, He told them the following ...

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: 48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

It stood out to me how important it is to guard our souls. 

When we see in our lives temptation to sin or something keeping us from doing what is right in the sight of God, we turn to God, willing to make the changes He shows us by the Holy Spirit.  When the Holy Spirit shows us a change we need to make in order to guard our souls, we do that.

At one point I worked in a high profile area and was being promoted.  But I was saying and doing what would make me look good to executives of the company, becoming corrupted as I sought to please people instead of seeking to please God.  When my attention was drawn to my corruption, I asked God to show me what to do. I believed I was led by the Holy Spirit to transfer to another area (which had a very low profile) and request to not lead any projects for a time.  This was a little like cutting off a part of my body, since this cut me off from the visibility and praise I had once had.  But this greatly helped me to simply work with integrity and try to please God in what I said and did.  

I was reminded of the following ...

Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. 36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? 37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Things of this world can seem important ... status, relationships, excitement, money, promotion, appearances ... to name a few.  But these are not as important as our souls.

Comments by Joan Boney ...

Often the very things that our flesh desires are the traps which end up holding us in bondage ... desire for status, relationships, excitement, money, promotion, appearances ...

If we deny ourselves (Mk 8:34) we refuse to give in to our fleshly desires.

The key is prayer:  Asking God what HE wants us to do when we have a "good" idea.  Often it will be opposite to our good idea.  In such cases, we "deny ourselves" in order to do what we believe God has shown us after prayer.