Saturday, November 17, 2012

God has a time for every purpose

Pam Padgett ... teacher

We're told that God has a time and purpose for everything ...

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

While reading this, I thought of how blessed we are to have been given the Holy Spirit leading us and guiding us in the ways and purposes of God.  Of our own selves, we don't know the purpose God has in a given matter ... is this a time to break down, or a time to build up? Is this a time to get, or a time to lose?   Those who don't have or trust in the Holy Spirit try to figure out for themselves what is the best thing to do, speculating what may happen in the future, but not knowing.  This is a very heavy burden and often the decisions made lead to unnecessary hardships. 

But when we are led by the Holy Spirit, we are shown the will of God for us in the matter.  Paul told us that the Spirit searches the things of God and reveals them to us ...

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

As I thought about this I recalled that several months ago, the following scripture was strongly brought to my attention, I believe by the Holy Spirit ... Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest: because it is polluted, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction. (Micah 2:10)   I thought God might be showing me to retire.  In my wisdom, it seemed early to retire and that I could continue working and saving money for retirement at some time in the future.  But when I prayed and asked God to confirm this direction, I believe He did, so I retired.  Since retiring I find that all of my needs are easily being met and I am continually grateful to God that I am not working at the job I once had.  I believe it was God's time for me to retire.

Comments by Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

I thought this writing by Pam was very interesting.  We know the way we are to go in the issues of this present life because the Spirit of God shows us the way God wants us to go.

But though we know the "way", we might not know the purpose of God. 

In other words, I am shown what to do but I might not know exactly why I am to do it.  Very often this is the case with me.  I believe I have heard "what to do" so I do it.  This is following God by HIS Spirit by faith.