Friday, November 30, 2012

Comforted by the Holy Spirit

Pam Padgett ... teacher

When his disciples asked Jesus about the end times, one of the things Jesus said is that we would hear of wars and rumors of wars, and that we shouldn't be troubled because these must come to pass, but that the end was not yet ...

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Recently I heard a small part of a news report about an area of the world (I don't remember where now) with much unrest and where war might break out.  Hearing this, some fear started to rise in me.  But immediately, I was reminded, I believe by the Holy Spirit, of what we're told in Matthew 24:6 ... that we would hear of wars and rumors of war and that we were not to be troubled.  This calmed me as my attention was turned to God and that HE is in control, having even warned us that there would be wars and rumors of wars and that these must happen. 

God helped me in a similar way when the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks happened, with live broadcasts of the planes flying into the World Trade Center in New York City, the towers collapsing, and dust rising and filling the streets.  It was shocking to see these events happen right before our eyes.  But I kept recalling a dream Joan had reported in 1999 which included ... I (Joan) looked toward the skyline of New York City and it was gone.  The only thing I could see was dust rising from the ground.  It was like implosion dust when buildings fall in on themselves.  It was very helpful and stabilizing to me to think about God knowing exactly what was going to happen, giving Joan this dream, and having her report it to us long before it happened. 

Jesus told His disciples of persecutions they would suffer and said He told these things so that when they happened, they would remember He had told of them ...

John 16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.

It is comforting to us when the Holy Spirit shows us in some way, such as scripture and dreams, what will come to pass and brings these things to our attention when they happen, for our thoughts are turned to God and His power and His care for us ...

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.