Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Vanity of the works of man

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Solomon spoke of having accomplished many things by the work of his hands, yet finding that it was all vanity (empty, of no real value) and vexation of spirit ...

Ecclesiastes 2:4 I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: 5 I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: 6 I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: 7 I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. 9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

While reading this I recalled how at one point after working as a software developer for more than 20 years, I thought back over the various projects that had seemed so important to me at one time.  Looking back I saw that some of the software was no longer needed and had been thrown away.  Much of the software had been re-written by other "important projects" using newer technologies.  Most of what had seemed so important was now forgotten. That work didn't have enduring value. 

But I also recalled times that God strongly helped and led me during those years. It strengthens and encourages us to think on what God has done, even many years later.  What God does will not become obsolete, replaced, or forgotten.  It is of great worth. 

In thinking about these things I was also reminded that, although fleshly works we do of ourselves are soon forgotten, those things we do according to the will of God, led by the Spirit of God, are not in vain ...

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.