Thursday, September 14, 2023

🎢 Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 8

 

 
Alfred Brendel is one of the foremost pianists specializing in Beethoven and Mozart.  He is my personal favorite when performing the Beethoven piano sonatas.  And the Pathetique is one of my favorites of the sonatas. 

Enjoy the pure beauty of the sound that is produced by very skillful hands and God given talent. 

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯


Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827)

Piano Sonata № 8 in c-moll `PathΓ©tique` (1798-99), op. 18

1. Grave - Allegro di molto e con brio
2. Adagio cantabile
3. Rondo. Allegro

Alfred Brendel (piano)

(1962/19:18)


$20 for 3 years
 
To learn more: Wikipedia:  

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

Most people will know popular music, but classical music is abstract and often pure sound, without attachment of mental image, unlike the drunk who lost his sweetheart and is sitting at a bar table, moaning over that lost love.  

People like Patsy Cline and Judy Garland had very pure sounding voices and can be enjoyable for short intervals.  But the words sung often bring these lost love images and entertain people but might pull one down emotionally and be even disturbing as they conjure, for many, lost romance images rather than being calming as David playing on his harp calmed king Saul.  Devils can be driven away by music.  (I Samuel 16)  Or devils can be stirred up as I believe happens with some of the violence today caused by loud rock type music.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

Pam Padgett worked for years as a programmer at Fed Ex.  At the Memphis hub, there is a building with a very long hallway.  Pam said they would often start work around 11 pm and she would be tired as she started down that hallway.  But she noticed by the time she got to the end of the hall, she felt peppy.  Later she met the sound engineer who designed the sound for that hall.  He told her the sound playing was especially designed to cause the workers to feel energy.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

I found music can cause physical pain to increase if the music is more dissonant.  After one of my surgeries when music was playing I noticed the pain would increase when cymbals crashed or in strong forte passages.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

I always had music playing when guests came to dinner at my house.  Once my cousin came to dinner at my apartment.  Years later she was still talking about how wonderful that dinner was.  I asked, "What did we have to eat.?"  She looked puzzled and never could recall the food.  (It was the music that I used that made it wonderful.) 

Armies often go off to war by march music for it stirs up the flesh to fight and to win and especially to go out!

Hitler's idol was the music composer Richard Wagner.

Sporting events also use music (fight songs) to stir up the flesh and cause men to want to win.

Mozart is so orderly it was once believed to cause babies to grow into higher IQ's and to be calmer, more orderly people when they grew older.

Music definitely controls humans and even devils as we know by the example of king Saul and David.  (I Samuel 16)

I am selecting these recordings primarily because of the sheer beauty of the sound.

When I was traveling and would be picked up at the airport, I rarely encountered anyone that did not have radio playing in their car.  I always thought this was so interesting.  People often can't seem to stand silence.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

When I go to bed, I'm very careful not to get terribly exciting dramatic shows on TV for I want to calm down, not wake up.

This recording we have for you today is one of the more special of the piano sonatas.  I saw one of the Coen brother's movies and he let a young woman play almost this entire sonata on an empty stage with an empty auditorium. I never forgot that scene that was black and white.

But I love pure sound of the various instruments and the way the instruments interact one with another.  I believe we can be helped by music ... or even hurt by music. 

I recall one of my music professors saying:  "Never sing a happy song to a sad person."

Programming is the art of combining a concert with various forms of music.

John Phillip Sousa was a master at programming.  He took his band on tour to Alabama.  He marched the band into the main part of town playing "Dixie."  The people ran from every direction toward the sound they were hearing!  Then Sousa told them about the concert they would be performing that evening.  He said, "We will start our program by playing "Dixie."  (The people listening cheered loudly!)  Then Sousa said, "We will play the 1812 Overture, followed by "Dixie."  (They people shouted.)  The concerts sold out.

To learn more: Wikipedia:
John Philip Sousa


πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯