Wednesday, August 9, 2023

πŸ’₯ Letter to a neighbor.

   
Last week I met with a neighbor who helped me with German pronunciations.   She has a background in literature and music, especially in opera, and also lived for 8 years in Germany. 

As we talked she mentioned that her favorite German opera was "The Ring" by Richard Wagner.

I had no idea what the subject of the opera was but I have often heard people mention these 4 operas and have wondered and even thought I would like to know more about this.  I already know much of the pure music of Wagner.

When I mentioned I was interested in knowing more about "The Ring", she said she has so many books on this and I am welcome to borrow these books and also DVD's.

She sent me a brief introduction to "The Ring" from a man on a classical music radio station.  It explained the basic plot. 

In short, Wagner wrote 4 operas concerning a mythical god who had a ring stolen by one or two dwarfs and the rest of the time they are trying to recover this ring.

I told this neighbor (by email after we met and after I read what she sent about the plot) that if I had a "god" who had dwarfs steal from him I would be looking for another "god".

Today I had it called to my attention several times that I needed to share something with her so I wrote another email and sent it to her.

(E-mail to neighbor)

I have a problem continuing with the actual operas because of all the "gods" in Wagner's works. I probably will hear some of the opera on the classical online presentations, where it is just music in German.

I don't want to see portrayal on DVD, however, as they worship their powerless gods.

My God created the heaven and earth and has great power to help me in every way as needed. HE is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, the father of Jesus Christ, the Word.

I do thank you for the help provided for it really was help. I knew nothing about that which "The Ring" meant. I did know Wagner dealt with mythical gods and such things as Hitler loved even when it was destruction of his own people. This just isn't for me, except for the abstraction of the Wagner music.

If you ever want to come over, there are many other things to enjoy.

Thank you again.

Joan Boney

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

I knew it was important to make my view clear quickly and not allow any thought to linger about watching Wagner's opera on DVD, for I was not going to do that.  

It is the music that interests me and any singing, which is Germany, is treated by me simply as another instrument of sound, though vocal.  That is also the way I have viewed Italian opera.  I don't care what they are singing about.  I hear sound by voice as I hear sound by instruments.  And I enjoy it that way!

Music is very abstract as long as you don't know what it is they are singing about.  If you understand the lyrics you often hear of their sins, and various lusts can rise inside you by form of past memories.  Sometimes it can also pull you down and swallow you up and we overcome through God and by thinking of God.


πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯