Monday, April 4, 2022

πŸ’₯ Quench not the Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:19)

 
When the Holy Spirit calls a scripture to our mind or a concept, we are being given an opportunity to share from God with that person or group of persons that we are with.  

If we hold back and do not share, then we quench the Spirit of God.

(quench:  stop)

The Holy Spirit is like a fire and when we speak what HE calls to our mind, the fire of God is loosed and the work of God is done.

Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will remind us of all that HE, Jesus, has said.

John 14:26   But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Spirit brings to our mind both scriptures and concepts.  

When I am with another person I am very careful to share that which is brought to my mind by the Holy Spirit.  If we fail to share that scripture or concept, then we end up quenching the Spirit of God.

We must learn to be aware of that which the Holy Spirit brings to our mind and share that with other people when we are with them and the Holy Spirit "falls" on us by reminding us of something.

Often when I am going to be with another person, I even pray that God not let me say anything of myself but only what HE wants me to say.  And when I'm reminded of scripture or a story, I know it is the Holy Spirit and I speak that to edify that person in the grace of God.

Ephesians 4:29-30  

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

The Holy Spirit never makes us speak.  But the Holy Spirit shows us what God wants us to speak.  We simply yield to the Holy Spirit and share that which HE brings to us for we know this is what God wants us to speak.

Examples:

πŸ’₯  Several years ago, I was playing golf with two women, a Church of Christ member and a Methodist woman.  The Methodist woman began talking about people who judge other people.  The Holy Spirit brought these words to my mind, which I spoke:  "If you judge someone is judging, aren't you judging?"  (The Methodist woman gasped!  It was like a pin puncturing a balloon filled with hot air.)

πŸ’₯  An exterminator came to our house to do some work.  I had seen some mice in my bedroom.  The exterminator had identified himself as a Christian.  As he went about his work, he said to me:  "You can always pray that the mice will go to the house of one of your neighbors that you hate."  
I said:  "I don't hate any of my neighbors."
πŸ’₯  A young woman came to our house recently to see our new kittens.  All of a sudden, the Holy Spirit began reminding me of one scripture after another.  I began sharing these scriptures.  She said:  "I want to hear examples of times God has given you a word." 
God has given me many words.  But I just shared those words God brought to my mind by HIS Spirit at that time.  
From time to time, she would ask me a question.  She asked, "What does it mean to be born again?" ... "Do you pray to God, or to Jesus, or to the Holy Spirit?"  
I replied, "To God." And I quoted the scripture Philippians 4:6  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  
I explained about being born again.  She showed great interest and she also quoted scripture to me and I knew she believed that scripture and followed that scripture and as I spoke to her I believed she was already born again, and I told her this.  She greatly rejoiced!
πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

Peter prayed that they would speak the word with all boldness.

Acts 4:29  And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak THY word,

As the Holy Spirit reminds me of a word from God, I have learned to yield myself to the Holy Spirit of God and speak that word which HE has called to my mind.
 

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯