Thursday, June 25, 2015

Leviticus - Part 5 ... Viewing the works of God through scripture


(Rules of OT law set up by God for people of OT.  In NT blood of Jesus pays for our sins but many of the concepts of what is right and what is wrong in sight of God are same for OT and NT.)

Leviticus 19 ... 9 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest. 10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger:I am the Lord your God.
 

11 Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.
 

12 And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God:I am the Lord.
 

13 Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him:the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.
 

14 Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God:I am the Lord.
 

15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment:thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty:but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
 

16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people:neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour:I am the Lord.
 

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart:thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
 

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself:I am the Lord.

==========

Leviticus 19 ... 14 Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God:I am the Lord.

This would have to do with people who go behind the back of others to do harm ... thinking no harm can come to them .. deaf can't hear so to curse them would seem safe ... blind can't see so could put something harmful in the blind man's path and he couldn't tell who did this.

It reminds me of something that happened to me when I lived in previous town.  A man became angry with me.  (I think this man might have been homosexual.)  I received notice from IRS that I was to be audited.  Tax man was shocked and said, "But you don't have any income."  He couldn't believe this audit.

The auditors (2 people/man & woman) came to my house.  When I opened the door, the auditor said the name of the man I had offended.  Then he quickly changed and said my name.  I knew the name of the man I had offended was on the sheet of paper concerning me.  I knew this man I had offended had turned me into the IRS and caused this audit.

I gave all cancelled checks to IRS people.  They were shocked that I offered the checks and actually gave them all cancelled checks to carry away with them.

I told them if anything was wrong, it would be a mistake and I would correct it.

They did the audit and found nothing wrong.  They returned my checks and at that time the IRS man said, "You don't pay into social security."  I explained when ministry was set up I signed "vow of poverty" papers for IRS meaning I could never receive social security or medical insurance.  At that time we had no money to speak of.  Certainly we had no income then as ministry.

IRS man said there was no record of those papers being turned in.  Had they been turned in by tax man who set up the federal income tax, I would never be able to go into the social security/medical insurance program of USA government.  But since those papers were never filed, if I would like to do so I could buy back into social security.   By this time, we had plenty of money to allow me to buy into this program and I did do this.  Had I not done this, I would have no medical insurance.  I fell and broke hip 5 years ago.  I have no idea what hospital cost.  Then I had to spend a month after surgery in rehab hospital which was covered by the social security program.  It would have been unthinkable to do this without medical insurance.  Then I stopped taking salary and began living on my monthly social security check of $777 per month.  I would not have had this social security check except for the tax audit which turned into a very large benefit for me, allowing me to buy back into the social security program!  Reminds me of Joseph when he spoke to his brothers who had sold him into bondage.

Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

==========

Leviticus 19 ...  28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you:I am the Lord.

==========

Leviticus 19 ... 33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. 34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt:I am the Lord your God.

==========

Leviticus 19 ... 35 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure. 36 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: 

I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt. 37 Therefore shall ye observe all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them:I am the Lord.

==========

Leviticus 20 ... 6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

==========

Leviticus 20 ... 10 The adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. (OT law)



In NT Church, the apostle Paul instructs:

I Cor. 5 ...

1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. 

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
 

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
 

9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
 

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? (We have no place to judge the world but we do judge the church, them that are "within.") do not ye judge them that are within? 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.