Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Psalm 119:153-176 ... Prayers to God & Promises from God to the Church

153 Consider mine affliction, and deliver me:
for I do not forget thy law.
 

154 Plead my cause, and deliver me:
quicken me according to thy word.

 

155 Salvation is far from the wicked:
for they seek not thy statutes.

 

156 Great are thy tender mercies, O Lord:
quicken me according to thy judgments.
 

157 Many are my persecutors and mine enemies;
yet do I not decline from thy testimonies.
 

158 I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved;
because they kept not thy word.

 

159 Consider how I love thy precepts:
quicken me,
O Lord, according to thy lovingkindness.
 

160 Thy word is true from the beginning:
and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.


161 Princes have persecuted me without a cause:
but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.
 

162 I rejoice at thy word,
as one that findeth great spoil.

 

163 I hate and abhor lying:
but thy law do I love.
 

164 Seven times a day do I praise thee
because of thy righteous judgments.
 

165 Great peace have they which love thy law:
and nothing shall offend them.
 

166 Lord, I have hoped for thy salvation,
and done thy commandments.
 

167 My soul hath kept thy testimonies;
and I love them exceedingly.
 

168 I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies:
for all my ways are before thee.


169 Let my cry come near before thee, O Lord:
give me understanding according to thy word.

 

170 Let my supplication come before thee:
deliver me according to thy word.
 

171 My lips shall utter praise,
when thou hast taught me thy statutes.
 

172 My tongue shall speak of thy word:
for all thy commandments are righteousness.

 

173 Let thine hand help me;
for I have chosen thy precepts.
 

174 I have longed for thy salvation, O Lord;
and thy law is my delight.
 

175 Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee;
and let thy judgments help me.

 

176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant;
for I do not forget thy commandments.



Comments by Joan Boney  

 Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee;
and let thy judgments help me.


The Psalmist is crying out, not for his body to live, but for his soul to live.

When we are burdened by seeing and hearing the sins done against God, our soul is grieved.  Joy is gone.  Sadness is in our hearts.

Only God can restore my soul.  While it seems impossible to me, God has a way to restore me and give me back joy.  While I don't know how it can be done, I have seen God restore me in past and therefore I know HE can restore me in present.  Experience with God gives me hope.

We cry out to God in such times and wait on HIM for HIS deliverance and restoration.