Sunday, June 21, 2015

Leviticus - Part 1 ... Viewing the works of God through scripture

II Tim. 3 ... 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I have read the book of Leviticus several times for it has been my policy for myself to read through the Bible from Genesis through Revelation and then to do it again, over and over.  This I have done since becoming a Christian in 1975.

Leviticus is hard for me.  There are animal sacrifices for the various sins of the people.  (I am an animal lover.)

But I also know the truth of the following statement:

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

In the time prior to Jesus coming to earth in the flesh and paying for sins with His own blood and being raised by God from the dead, the sins of the people were dealt with by shedding of blood of various animals.  This plan was from God and to be respected.  It is set forth in Leviticus in detail for both the people and the priests.  It was the way to God for them at that time.

I did re-read Leviticus ... Here are some points that stood out to me.

The animals sacrificed had to be without blemish ... there were sins where they sacrificed male animals and sins where they sacrificed female animals for sin of the people by the specific instruction from God ... but in every case, the animal had to be without blemish.

NT ... describing Jesus ...

 Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The giving of the best of the animals to God, reminds me of how we should always give the best of ourselves to God.  I like to read Bible when I am fresh, in the very best condition.  I am very careful about reading the Bible.  If I am in strife I do not read Bible.  At that time, I pray.  Then when God restores me I can read Bible with pure heart.

==========

In Leviticus there were sins through ignorance ... as well as sins of adultery and such where the participants in adultery knew it was sin and forbidden by God and they willfully sinned anyway and they were killed, stoned to death, as a result.

NT ... sin done in ignorance ... Paul is primary example.  Paul sought out Christians and bound them and turned them over to be judged and killed.  Paul says:

I Tim. 1 ... 12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; 13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious:but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.