Sunday, August 3, 2014

Led by God in type of work to do

Pam Padgett ... teacher

At one time I had a job doing secretarial work, but found that I was becoming increasingly bored.  I turned to God and laid out before Him how I felt and asked if there was some type of work I might be able to do that would be more interesting to me.  (I didn't have any idea what this might be.)  But I also told God that if He wanted me to continue doing secretarial work, that was fine and I'd try to continue doing this to the best of my ability.  I just wanted God's will to be done.   

For a time I didn't hear or see anything else to do, so I continued in my job. 

Then one day my boss asked me if I would be willing to set up a pc to use when doing my work.  Computers were just starting to be used in offices at that time.  I told my boss I'd be willing to try to do this but didn't know anything about computers.  I asked if I could take some classes to learn about computers, and he agreed.  So I found a schedule of computer classes offered at a nearby college and reviewed it with my boss.  One of the classes we chose was called "Basic".  Knowing that I knew nothing about computers and needed a basic understanding of them, we both thought this sounded like a good class for me to take. 

I looked forward to starting the classes we chose and thought that setting up the pc and doing my work on it might make my job more interesting to me.  I wondered if perhaps my prayer was being answered, not by doing another type of work altogether, but having something added to my current work to make it more interesting to me.

It turned out my prayer was being answered, but in a very different way than I could even imagine. 

The first night of the "Basic" class, the instructor reviewed what we would be covering in the class.  Surprisingly to me, this was not a class giving a basic understanding of computers.  Instead, it was a class in the programming language called "Basic".  We were going to learn how to write computer program code.  As soon as the instructor gave some examples, I immediately knew that computer programming was what I wanted to do.  One thought kept going through my mind I believe from the Holy Spirit ... "This is it" ... this is the type of work that would interest me and "fit" me perfectly!  All the way home from that first class I thanked God for working it out for me to learn about programming. 

The other class my boss and I chose helped me setup the pc at the place I worked as a secretary and I started doing my work on it.  In the evenings after work I took another programming class and continued to enjoy programming.  Within a few months after finishing that class, I was hired as a part-time programmer/part-time secretary at a small company.  About a year after that I was hired as a full-time programmer at FedEx and continued to enjoy programming, working there over 20 years until I retired.