Saturday, October 3, 2015

Led in what to do by the word of God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A few years ago I found a style of jeans which are comfortable for me and can be ordered online, which I prefer rather than going to a store.   Recently I needed to buy another pair of jeans and ordered the same size as I've previously bought.  But when I received the jeans and tried them on, I found that these jeans are too tight because I have gained weight. 

My initial thought was that I could try to lose some weight and, if I did this, I'd be able to wear the jeans in the future

But then I was reminded of my plan and also reminded of taking no thought for the future. 

Matthew 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I was basing what to do with this pair of jeans on what I wanted to happen in the future (lose some weight.)  By this scripture, I knew my plan was not the way I should go.  So I'm returning the jeans and ordering a larger size, the size I need today.  

A little later I was looking at Proverbs 3:7 and was again reminded of how I planned to deal with these jeans. 

Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.

It seemed "wise" in my thinking to try to lose weight instead of returning the jeans and getting a bigger size.  I hadn't turned to God with the problem of the jeans being too tight, asking what to do; I was being wise in my own eyes. Losing weight rather than buying a bigger size appeals to my flesh, for being thin is more accepted in this society.  This wisdom is of the flesh, not of the Holy Spirit.  

And the way my own "wisdom" was leading me is a hard way.  It would have put pressure on me to lose weight.  The way I'm led as I've prayed and considered these scriptures is an easy yoke ... return the jeans and get a bigger size. 

Jesus (the Word) instructs us ... Come unto me (the Word), all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.  (Matthew 11:28-30)