Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Exercise yourself rather unto godliness

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

I Tim. 4 ... 7 But refuse profane (secular) and old wives 'fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

"exercise thyself rather unto godliness"

exercise:  make a daily effort toward ...


We exercise ourselves unto godliness daily as we select a scripture and think on that instruction and do that instruction. This sets our path that day in a way of God.  By that we seek "HIS righteousness" ... and there is a promise that if we do that "all these things will be added unto you."  Mt. 6

Some people run a certain distance every day ... they determine to do this.

But Paul tells us to exercise ourselves unto godliness which has the promise for this life and the next life.  

==========

As I was doing my daily "spiritual exercise", I chose to focus on the following scripture...

I Cor. 3 ... 18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. 21 Therefore let no man glory in men.

I began praying, asking God if there was anything of this world where I was trying to be wise and follow wisdom of this world.


I was reminded of the following:

I Cor. 2 ... Paul said ... 1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Paul is saying he "determined"  ... he made up his mind and set his direction not to know wisdom of man but rather to know Jesus Christ (The Word) and to speak that instead of man's cleverness.

And he determined to know Christ "crucified" ... This is the path where Jesus heard from God and did the will of God even to HIS own death ...

I don't read newspapers and bring myself up to date with current events to seem wise to other people.  I wouldn't want to do this.  If I share at all with others I would want to speak that which Holy Spirit brings for that will be life to other people as well as to myself.

In the late 70's,  God used I Cor. 2 with me to show me what to do in the ministry.  God showed me to set myself (determine) to speak that which I heard from HIM and not to go to people speaking clever stories to tickle their flesh.  Rather speak what the Holy Spirit brought to my attention at the time I stood before them.  Determine to do this.  (This glorifies God and not myself.)

I was sharing this by phone with Pam ... and something came out of my mouth which needed correcting.  I quoted the former governor of Texas who said, "If it aint the best, it don't belong in Texas."  (a clever, fleshly saying)

I told Pam I needed to correct this and immediately I heard:  "My kingdom is not of this world." Jn. 18  

==========

It is so exciting to select a verse and meditate upon that verse for you never know where it will take you!  It might even correct you.

II Tim. 3 ... 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.