Sunday, October 7, 2012

Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

John 7 ... In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

In the Old Testament, some had the Holy Spirit, but not all had the Holy Spirit. 

In the New Testament church, all who believed on HIM, would be sealed with the Holy Spirit which was the "earnest" of their salvation.  It was a type of proof of belonging to God. 

Eph. 1 ... That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.  13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Romans 8 ... But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.



The Holy Spirit was not given to all until after Jesus was crucified and raised from the dead.  But Jesus spoke to His disciples, telling them what the Holy Spirit would do when HE came.



Jesus begins speaking of the "Comforter" who would be given to them.  This is the Holy Spirit. 


John 14 ...I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.



By HIS Spirit, Jesus would come to those who belong to God.  And HIS Spirit that would come to the believer would comfort the believer and was a Spirit of Truth that the believer would know truth concerning the issues of this life.


Several times in John 14-16 Jesus speaks of that which the Holy Spirit would do when HE came.


John 14 ... He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 22Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

...But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 ... But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16 ... Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:  9Of sin,  because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 

... Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Those who belong to God have the Spirit of God and are led by the Spirit of God.  We know the will of God by HIS Spirit who searches the heart of God to reveal the will of God to us today. I Cor. 2

Without the Spirit of God we are none of HIS.