Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Showing Jesus

Pam Padgett ... teacher

When King Agrippa came to Caesarea, Festus told him about Paul, and he wanted to hear what Paul would say.  Paul told King Agrippa and Bernice that he had once persecuted those who believe in Jesus.  But then Jesus spoke to him on the road to Damascus ...

Acts 26:13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: 20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. 21 For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me. 22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: 23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.


It stood out to me that Paul continued doing as he had been called by God to do, to minister and be a witness of Jesus.  As he traveled to many cities, he spoke what he had seen and heard, teaching about Jesus and faith in Him. Even when confined and in bonds, he continued in these things. 

An example is when Paul was in Jerusalem and Jews from Asia came and stirred up the people against Paul, Paul was taken by the soldiers, chained.  While being carried to a castle, he asked to speak to the people and was permitted to do so.  He told them about his upbringing, that he had persecuted those who believe in Jesus, and of Jesus speaking to him on the road to Damascus.  He also told what he had seen and heard after this, until the people refused to listen ...

Acts 22:12 And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there, 13 Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him. 14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth. 15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard. 16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. 17 And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance; 18 And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me. 19 And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee: 20 And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him. 21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles. 22 And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.

Another example ... while in Caesarea in the custody of Felix the governor, Felix sent for Paul, and Paul spoke with him and his wife about faith in Jesus ... 

Acts 24:24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. 25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. 26 He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him.


We, also, are to continue ... keep going ... in those things God has told us to do, continuing to obey the word we've been given led by the Holy Spirit.   And we share those things we have seen and heard of God with each other and, as we have opportunity, with those of the world.  We endeavor to continue doing according to the word we have received, which is the will of God for our lives.