Thursday, October 25, 2012

Seeking to live peacefully with a neighbor

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A few months ago one of my neighbors sent me an email with what she considered to be "cute" sayings about animals.  I was grieved by the first saying because it spoke of God in a way that is not true.  I didn't read any further.  This neighbor is not a Christian, and I prayed asking God how I should handle this.  About a week later, I received another similar email which again brought grief.  I believed I was led by God to send her an email asking to be removed from the distribution list of people she sent emails like this to, and explained why, sharing truth from the Bible regarding what I had read in these emails about God.  She did not respond in any way.  Although she has not sent any more emails, I feel sure she was offended that I asked her to stop sending these to me. 

Before asking her to stop sending such emails to me, I had asked God to confirm whether this was His will, and was reminded of neither be partaker of other men's sin ...  
I Timothy 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

Sometime later the following was also called to my attention ...  And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. (Ephesians 5:11 )

I hadn't seen this neighbor since then until recently when there have been a few times she has been driving down the street while I was walking my dogs.  In the past, she would stop her car and speak briefly, but now she scowled at me and kept driving.  It would "sting" me when this happened and I turned to God to help me.  I was also aware of how anger and hatred eat at a person and was sorry to see the hostility in her.    

I forgave her and also prayed asking God if there was anything I could do to live in peace as neighbors with this woman ... if there might be some way for there to be no hostility.

Romans 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Last Friday I saw a mobile veterinary van parked in front of this neighbor's house.  This neighbor has two cats.  In the past I've taken care of the cats when she has been out of town, and knew that the older cat is being treated for cancer.  When I saw this veterinary van, I was concerned that the cat's condition may have gotten worse.  As I prayed about what, if anything, I should do, I was reminded of what Jesus said in the following ...

Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

I called the neighbor and left a message on her answering machine, telling her I had seen the veterinary van and offered to help if there was anything she needed.  Although she didn't return my phone call, she later sent an email.  There was no hostility in the email, and she thanked me for calling and leaving the message offering to help.  She explained that the older cat's condition is about the same.  Around a month ago, however, the younger cat was diagnosed with a very deadly type of cancer and is not expected to live into December.  This woman is a widow with no children, and I'm sure this is devastating for her.  I replied to her email, telling her how sorry I was to hear about the younger cat and again offered to help if needed.  

I am grateful to God that I believe He led me to call this neighbor and show compassion to her, and that there was no hostility in her reply.